Sunday, 5 October 2014

Edit Workshop Evaluation

What my storyline is Week 2!!!

180 Degree Rule
During the edit workshop we used the 180 degree rule throughout the scene, this rule is used to make sure that the audience isn't confused by the editing, for example if character 1 was on the ;left hand side of the screen, in the next shots throughout the scene they would have to remain in the same position, as a feature of continuity editing. To make sure that I followed this rule I made sure that all the clips that I picked where more than one character was present showed the Interrogator on the left hand side and the hostage on the right hand side, you can see this in shots 3-5 and 7-8. 

Match On Action
During the editing workshop we had to make sure that there was at least one match on action example, for me I made sure to include this at the beginning, where the interrogator opens the door from outside the room and then cuts to him opening the door on the inside and then walking in. The reason for including this is because it keeps the flow of the scene and makes sure that it isn't difficult to watch as well as helping to stop confusion in the audience


First shot where the interrogator opens the door.

Second shot where the interrogator opens the door from the inside and then continues to walk inside. 










Challenged that I faced during production
If I had the ability to re-film my storyboard I would definitely make changes. First of all I would have decided to change the narrative, I feel that the scene was too intense and difficult to record under normal circumstances and meant as a result we had issues during the production phase. We had to record multiple shots many times as well as having to move around a lot of tables and chairs in order to make sure that the shots had continuity. As well as issues with shooting we also had issues with the actual room, as almost all of the rooms in the school didn't fit the criteria of an empty blank room which we were looking for except for the conference room.

 Even though we had a room to record in we were limited by how often we could record in there as we need strict permission to use the room. Finally the last issues we had were outfits and props, we needed to make sure that the interrogator had a suit in order to intimidate the hostage and show himself to be relative to the Mafia or other similar crime related organisations, which would make the scene more intense for the audience as it is a familiar and feared concept throughout the world today. 

Challenges during post production
During production there wasn't many issues that i came across however the ones I did encounter affected the efficiency of which I was able to edit the clips, the biggest issue I came across was that we had a lot of shots of the same clip so it meant that I had to look through all the copies and find the one that was best suited towards our storyline. 

Strengths & Weaknesses
I think that my piece had many strengths and weaknesses, first of all i believe that the biggest strength of my work is the creativity of the story, it was much varied from the rest of the other groups ideas as it wasn't set inside a school, the idea was for an individual to be taken as hostage and then interrogated by a stranger, this is a strength I believe as it allowed to create a strong and intense scene for the audience because the situation that the hostage was put in was very different from the typical lifestyle of somebody. 

In addition to the storyline of the scene I think that our other major strengths were that we followed a lot, if not all of the filming techniques, this includes; 180 degree rule: Match on Action as during the first 2 shots the opening of the door is almost seamless as there isn't a noticeable movement: Rule of Thirds as throughout the filming we tried to make sure to keep the eye level one third down the screen at all times, especially during the closeups. 

On the other hand I think that the biggest weaknesses of the scene are down to the lack of people in the scene, in the scene we only have two characters and even though it works and the characters have a very limited background story in order to keep the audience thinking and develop their own background stories, I think that it makes the scene somewhat difficult to relate to and difficult for the audience to grasp.

Improvements
Finally I think that we could make a number of improvements from our edit workshop. I think that the first improvement we could make was the light, for example I think it would have been better if we could make the lighting darker and more sinister so that it suited the storyline better. The biggest thing that I think I would improve on the time spent for editing, I believe that the biggest issue I had for this task was the limited time I had personally to spend editing and recording, this meant that I was very restricted on how much i could do to the final piece. However I do feel that the editing in this piece is continuous there are parts in which I feel could be more seamless, for example where there is a cut to an over the shoulder shot, it seems a little too rapid.

Final Video

No comments:

Post a Comment